Tuesday, May 4, 2010
So, for a while now I have been eating strawberries soaked in olive oil but never realized that there were other people who found this a delicious midnight treat. I always just ate these two together because of the individual health benefits and simply it taste good to me. So, while googling today, I found this delicious recipe to be eaten just as a treat not on a regular basis because of the sugar. Well, try it out and let me know what you think.
Strawberries in Olive Oil Infused with Vanilla
Serving size: Serves 6
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 to 3 punnets of ripe sweet strawberries (at room temperature)
80ml njoi red or redisland extra virgin olive oil
2 vanilla pods
1 lime – Set aside a few long strips of zest cut into thin pieces and the remainder finely grated
1 tablespoon castor sugar
200gms double cream or mascarpone
1. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds, cut the pods into 2cm strips and place the seeds and pod pieces into a small saucepan with the olive oil. Warm the oil and vanilla on low heat for 10 minutes, remove and cool.
2. Wash and hull strawberries and place in a bowl.
3. Squeeze the lime juice and sprinkle the sugar evenly over the strawberries and toss until evenly coated.
4. Add the grated lime zest and zest strips to the strawberries.
5. Pour over oil and gently toss through. Add extra sugar if the strawberries need more sweetening.
6. Serve with a dollop of double cream or mascarpone and a piece of vanilla pod for garnish.
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Why or Why?????????? I am trying to lose 10 pounds. Why would they do this to me? Tempting me with such images of sugar and chocolate. For those of you that are not trying to lose a couple of pounds here is the link to the article with the recipe.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Warm Healthy Muffins, Dark rich Cacao from Coppeneur, Fine Rooibos tea from Numi and wonderful fine Alpaca and Wool yarn from Peru. Use the yarn to create an amazing scarf or sweater or throw this winter.